Post-op day #4 (Tuesday)

I seriously hope we can make it out of New Orleans. Everything is shut down due to coronavirus. We are lucky we got supplies and groceries last Thursday before surgery to last us several days because there is no food anywhere. We wear masks and gloves anytime we leave the room.

I heard there is talk of a travel ban and our surgeons are concerned. They moved my post op appointment from Thursday to tomorrow just in case. Assuming all goes well with that we can hopefully travel home after that? I definitely am locked up here at the Hope Lodge, worried about my recovery, having enough supplies to last us and also getting safely home to my babies. I also want my friend Brittney to get home safely to her family as well. A sense of urgency is definitely an understatement. Please pray that we can all make it to our homes safely and soon!

I’m not going to lie, I’m in no condition to be traveling across the country. I can barely sit up right for longer than 10 minutes without major lower back spasms and abdominal incision pain. I was doing ok at the hospital because I was on some heavy pain meds and was able to just sleep through things the nurses did everything, emptied my drains every 4 hours and swabbed the sites with betadine. Now that we are on our own at the lodge, I’m seeing how worn out I am and what little stamina I have. It takes everything in me to take enough air in to move and walk, but not too much that I burst open stitches or flex my resected ribs. The soreness, swelling and bruising is settling in.

 Last night I took a muscle relaxer to help these back spasms calm down from being so hunched over- my blood pressure bottomed out and I almost fainted in the bathroom. The pain meds make me nauseous so I haven’t been able to eat much more than a shake and some oatmeal. I’ve got to keep moving though, doing my PT exercises and breathing treatments. Juggling it all has been quite a struggle. I couldn’t to do any of this without Daxton. He is the best nurse, massage therapist, hair dresser, pharmacist, just everything. He brings me a tub of warm water to wash my face in bed, he helped me shower and totally dried my hair like a pro, he manages all my meds and drains and gauze dressings. He helps me get dressed, get shoes on, repositions me, rubs lotion on my hands and feet, puts chapstick on my lips, feeds me when my arms are so weak, helps me wash my hands because I can’t barely scrub them together, he makes sure I have clean towels for everything. He holds me up when my body wants to collapse as we walk down the hallway. He tells me everything is going to be ok and prays with me.  I have no words for how grateful I am for him.

To the people who are taking care of my babies, how can I thank you enough? I am so eternally grateful for the sacrifices you’ve all made in big and small ways to make their lives seem somewhat normal. I wish I could hug them and hold them when I get home, but seeing them will just melt my heart completely. I miss them. I’m achy for home and familiarities. I’m afraid both of those might be a while.

Even though this is so excruciating right now, I know it isn’t forever., I’m so happy. I’m so happy we found the courage to do this mastectomy. I feel relieved the worst is over and I can move forward not having to worry about cancer. I’m so happy that I can feel the support and love of an involved Heavenly Father who always knows more than we do. I owe all of my courage and reassured feelings to Him who has known the end from the beginning.

Please pray we can get home safely, especially before a potential travel ban.
Please pray we can manage my pain and nausea and mobility.
Please pray we can have restful sleep.
Please pray we can have calm minds and act on promptings of the Spirit.
Please pray my wounds will heal without infections or complications.
Please pray we will not pick up the coronavirus!
Thank you all for your constant love and for checking in on us.

On a lighter note, my favorite part of the day was when I woke up and my husband said “Oh hi! There you are. You’re so cute when your eyes are open. You’ve been walking around like a blind little baby gerbil.” I laughed so hard it hurt. A good hurt.







Comments

Popular Posts